first_imgOccupied Muscogee Creek / Cherokee / Yuchi / Choctaw / Shawnee / Chickasaw landAs of Jan. 1, 2021, incarcerated workers in Alabama’s odious prison system are on strike!  Led by the Free Alabama Movement, incarcerated workers throughout the state of Alabama have put down their work tools and refused to go to work from now until Jan. 31.The inhumane conditions of Alabama Department of Corrections, their negligence around COVID-19, and their implementation of video visitation equipment in prisons that ADOC claims is “due to COVID,” but is really a front for eliminating in-person visitation, has contributed further to the psychological warfare against everyone incarcerated in Alabama prisons and has fueled this strike. Officially called the “30 Day Economic Blackout,” the strike was called to order in a powerful statement via video from Free Alabama Movement co-founder Kinetik Justice, who states that this economic blackout is the culmination of six years of reports on the inhumane conditions inside the walls of Alabama prisons by the Free Alabama Movement, and the subsequent foot-dragging of the government to do hardly anything about it. At the core, the ones suffering the most inside Alabama prisons are Black men. #30DayEconomicBlackout, prisoner led!Alabama prisons a death trap for Black menA groundbreaking report from Alabama Appleseed Center for Law & Justice entitled “Death Traps” (https://bit.ly/34SrShU) reveals that Black men are at the highest risk for violence inside Alabama prisons. Out of 48 homicides in Alabama prisons between June 2014 and September 2020, 37 were Black men. They are also 3.3 times more likely than their white counterparts to be murdered within the walls of Alabama prisons. The ADOC has been ruled the deadliest prison system in the country. An imprisoned person in Alabama prisons is ten times more likely to be a victim of homicide than in any other state. In 2019 the homicide rate in Alabama prisons was 73 people per 100,000, compared to the overall rate in Alabama of 7.8 people per 100,000. The Free Alabama Movement, founded and operated by Black men behind the walls, has sought to bring this knowledge to the public, which is one of the main reasons behind the prison strike. Their lives are on the line; this is a matter of life and death for them.Alabama prisons ruled ‘unconstitutional’ twice in 18 months!Twice in the last 18 months, the conditions inside ADOC prisons have been revealed to be so shocking that the Department of Justice ruled that the entire Alabama prison system is “unconstitutional under the Eighth Amendment.” Video footage from within the prisons shows deplorable living conditions, overcrowded cells, violence between inmates and excessive force from guards, and many other factors in violation of the Eighth Amendment. On Dec. 9, 2020, the DOJ filed a lawsuit against ADOC over these inhumane conditions, citing understaffing and ongoing violence as two major factors in the lawsuit. (https://abcn.ws/2KMzhZ7) AP reporter Kim Chandler writes: “Alabama had been in negotiations with the Justice Department since the first 2019 report in the hopes of staving off a lawsuit, but federal officials said the state has ‘failed or refused to correct’ the unconstitutional conditions. “The 24-page lawsuit said that conditions in Alabama prisons have gotten worse since the initial findings — with homicides increasing and prisons becoming even more overcrowded than in 2016 when the investigation was initiated. ‘The State of Alabama is deliberately indifferent to the serious and systematic constitutional problems present in Alabama’s prisons for men,’ the lawsuit states.” (Dec. 10, 2020)In a disgusting, careless response, Alabama governor Kay Ivey has vowed to have three Alabama mega-prisons constructed over the next several years, costing Alabama taxpayers more than two and a half billion dollars! Two of the prisons, slated to be built in Brierfield and Tallassee, Ala., have been met with fervent local resistance by residents who do not want a prison in their communities or neighborhoods. (https://bit.ly/34Ri3AW) Video visitation: economic and psychological warfareAnother core of this revolutionary strike is to protest the implementation of video visitation equipment in prisons across Alabama. This equipment, designed by Securus Technologies, has been touted as “a safer alternative to in-person visits during COVID-19,” but there are no guarantees that this equipment would be removed and in-person visits resumed once COVID-19 rates begin to drop. Many prison abolition advocates in the Free Alabama Movement say that this is a long-conceived plan from ADOC to eliminate in-person visitation altogether, as a form of psychological warfare on those incarcerated workers behind the wall. When incarcerated workers have to deal with cell overcrowding, violence, and heinous living conditions, in-person visitation is for many a brief reprieve from the sickening situations they are in. But the state of Alabama, hoping to break them mentally and emotionally, is seeking to do away with even this small reprieve. Psychological warfare is not the only reason behind this. Follow the money! Securus Technologies rakes in over $1,750,000,000 a year from this equipment installed in prisons. It currently has 6,000 contracts out with prisons across the U.S. (https://bit.ly/3psMq8z) While Securus profits, the ADOC can cut costs and make more money for its prison-industrial complex. Securus Technologies is one of five companies that the Free Alabama Movement is asking all those in solidarity to actively boycott during the month-long strike. The others are JPay, Access Corrections, Union Supply Company, and Alabama Correctional Industries, all of whom directly benefit from the slave labor of incarcerated workers in Alabama prisons. Support the strike! Abolish the prisons! Although the ADOC has been ruled the “deadliest prison system in the country,” it is important to note that all prisons are inherently deadly, inhumane, and cruel – a massive monument to capitalism-imperialism, colonialism, and slavery. In a Dec. 10 interview, Free Alabama Movement co-founder and abolitionist Swift Justice said: “I personally wouldn’t sit there and try to gauge how inhumane one prison is over another prison in the United States. Any prison that has any human rights violations is inhumane; it’s all equal in our eyes. The issue here in Alabama is that for so long society in Alabama — they just cherish the fact that individuals come to prison and are basically tortured and treated like animals.” (https://bit.ly/3aWcll7) In the coming month this strike, led by Black incarcerated workers behind the walls of Alabama prisons, will be the revolutionary boost that kicks off 2021.  Halfway through the strike, Joe Biden will be inaugurated as president, but has announced no plans to even address prison reforms. His victory, seen as “revolutionary” by bourgeois liberals, will be challenged at every turn.The Alabama prison strike/30 Day Economic Blackout will kick off resistance to the decaying neoliberal, capitalist-imperialist system in the U.S. It is critical that progressives unequivocally support the Alabama prison strike, the Free Alabama Movement, and the continued struggle to tear down the walls and abolish prisons once and for all! Devin Cole is a transgender Marxist organizer and writer. They are the president of Strive (Socialist Trans Initiative), a transgender advocacy organization in northwest Florida, and a member of the Workers World Party – Central Gulf Coast (Alabama, Florida, and Mississippi) branch. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thisFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thislast_img read more

Read More

first_img PalestineMiddle East – North Africa May 16, 2021 Find out more News Organisation June 3, 2021 Find out more RSF asks ICC prosecutor to say whether Israeli airstrikes on media in Gaza constitute war crimes News RSF_en Follow the news on Palestine May 28, 2021 Find out more PalestineMiddle East – North Africa center_img News “The climate continues to be very oppressive for Palestinian journalists, who are still subject to arrests, physical attacks and searches as a result of tension between the Fatah-led Palestinian Authority in the West Bank and Hamas in the Gaza Strip,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Political rivalry continues to take its toll on press freedom.”In one of the latest incidents, Samer Rwayched, a correspondent of Sawt Al-Aqsa (a radio station linked to Hamas), was arrested by Palestinian Authority security forces at his home in the West Bank city of Hebron on 7 May. Representatives of the radio station told Reporters Without Borders they did not know the official reason for his arrest or where he is currently being held.Ttwo journalists working for Hamas-linked websites, Mohamed Ezzat Al-Halayka and Sami Asa’d, were arrested by Palestinian Authority security forces on 4 May. Al-Halayka was arrested at his home in the village of Al-Shouyoukh, outside Hebron, while Asa’d was arrested near his home in Bethlehem. Other people regarded as Hamas supporters were arrested the same day in Hebron.Muhannad Adnan Aziz Salahat, a journalist based in the West Bank who works as a representative of the Palestinian Human Rights Foundation (Monitor) in Jordan, was arrested by the Palestinian intelligence services on 1 May after responding to a summons he had received from them five days earlier. Since his arrest, the intelligence services have refused to provide any information about his detention.Salahat had already ready been arrested twice in recent weeks by the intelligence services at the Al-Karama crossing between the West Bank and Jordan, on 28 March and 14 April. Thereafter he was forbidden to leave the Palestinian Territories although there was no legal basis for the prohibition.He has written articles criticising arrests of Palestinian citizens by Israeli troops and recently made documentaries aired by the pan-Arab satellite TV station Al Jazeera that showed the living conditions of Palestinians in Jerusalem after their homes were demolished by the Israeli army. The Palestinian Authority said the documentaries were liable to incite violence against Israel.The Gaza City home of Noufouz Al-Bakri, the correspondent of the newspaper Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, was searched by individuals claiming to be from the Hamas government’s information ministry on 25 April. They told her that, to continue working as the newspaper’s correspondent, she would have apply for permission to open a newspaper bureau, because that is what her home was, they said. She later contacted the information ministry, which denied having anything to do with the search.It was not the first raid on Al-Bakri’s home. It was searched by 7 March by individuals claiming to belong to the Hamas interior ministry’s security forces (read http://en.rsf.org/palestinian-territories-security-forces-raid-journalis…).Gunmen fired on an Al Jazeera vehicle containing a reporter, cameraman and assistant, as well as its driver, in the West Bank city of Ramallah on 22 April. The Palestinian Authority security forces said they would investigate the shooting, in which no one was injured.Reporters Without Borders has learned that the Palestinian Authority’s communications ministry warned local radio and TV stations in the West Bank that their broadcasting could be suspended if they did not renew their licences by 15 April. The West Bank has at least 28 TV stations and 27 radio stations and there is a real danger that the Palestinian Authority could use this measure to close down the ones it does not like.The head of Al-Mahed, the only Christian TV station in the West Bank, said the communications ministry was asking for exorbitant amounts to renew the station’s licences. “Only the rich can afford media licences now,” he said. “This is going to limit news media diversity in the West Bank. It is just a means of restricting freedom of expression.”Both the Palestinian Authority security forces and the Hamas Executive Force are still on the lastest version of the Predators of Press Freedom list which Reporters Without Borders issued on 3 May. Israel now holding 13 Palestinian journalists to go further May 10, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Political tension between Hamas and Fatah still takes its toll on Palestinian journalists WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists News Help by sharing this information Receive email alertslast_img read more

Read More

first_imgBy Lonnie WheatleyDODGE CITY, Kan. (May 10) – Jesse Smith snared his first career IMCA Xtreme Motor Sports Modified feature win Saturday at Dodge City Raceway Park.Smith battled past defending track champion Austin Allen on the second lap and led the rest of the way in the 25-lapper. “I’ve been trying to win one of these here for ten years now,” the happy victor exclaimed in victory lane.While Smith started the feature from the pole position, Allen led the opening round from the second row outside only to have Smith battle back into the lead the next time and stretch out a comfortable advantage until the race’s only caution with just five laps to go closed Allen back up to his rear bumper.Allen challenged Smith for the point with the duo battling side-by-side for two laps before Smith reestablished command for keeps. Smith took the checkered flag ahead of Allen, who held of ninth-starter Scott Drake for runner-up honors. Josh Appel topped the IMCA SportMods while Perry Misner was victorious again in the IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars. Jarett Lunow was best in the Hornets. Zac Taylor kicked off the United Rebel Sprint Series season by taking his third career victory after the apparent winner came in five pounds light.last_img read more

Read More

first_imgLondon, July 31: Newly-promoted English Premier League (EPL) club Fulham on Tuesday announced the signing of Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrovic from Newcastle on a five-year contract.The 23-year-old Serbia international is to remain at Fulham on a permanent contract for an undisclosed fee, after joining the English side in January and helping them advance to the top-tier league, reports Efe.”This is a big club and last year we made history, we did big things, and I want to continue this. We want to keep making big things, and with all the fans behind us I think we can go far,” Mitrovic said in a statement on Fulham’s website.The club’s sporting director, Tony Khan, added that “(Mitrovic) was a hero in our run to promotion, and from the moment he arrived at Motspur and began working with us, we’ve always wanted Mitro on a permanent; I told him that after the Final at Wembley, and I’m thrilled to make it official today.”Mitrovic took part in 40 international matches with Serbia and scored 17 times, including in their 1-2 loss to Switzerland in the 2018 FIFA World Cup.British media reported Fulham paid 24.6 million euros ($28.8 million) for Mitrovic.The striker is the fifth addition to the team, led by Serbian coach Slavisa Jokanovic, ahead of Fulham’s 2018/2019 campaign, following Spanish goalkeeper Fabri (Besiktas), French defender Maxime Le Marchand (Nice), Ivory Coast midfielder Jean-Michael Seri (Nice) and the German striker Andre Schurrle (Borussia Dortmund, a two-year assignment). IANSlast_img read more

Read More