first_imgGoal kickingWhat hurt the South African team was something that had been a little overlooked earlier in the tournament as they won their three pool matches: goal kicking. Handre Pollard, who was so good in 2012 when South Africa won the title, was off target with three out of four penalties when just one more successful kick would have made all the difference. Knowing that must rub a little salt into the Baby Boks’ wounds, but will also give them confidence that they have what it takes to beat the Kiwis. “I think there was at least two tries that we could have scored. I think maybe the guys were a little bit anxious in the moment. And, I must lift my hat to the Welsh. They really stuck to their kicking game. They had a very, very well prepared kicking game. They kept us in the corners. We couldn’t get out of our half. In the end, the bounce of the ball made the difference.” While the Baby Boks didn’t produce their best form on the day, the Welsh should be given credit for some of that. They were, however, a trifle lucky to progress after their first try, scored by captain Ellis Jenkins, was controversially allowed when it was clear that he had knocked on in the act of scoring. Only South Africa and New Zealand have previously won the Junior World Championship, so this year’s winners will be first-timers and the first team from the northern hemisphere to lift the silverware. Late tryEven then, Theron’s comment was likely about the way the ball sat up for right wing Ashley Evans in the 79th minute as he ran onto a chip into the South African 22, gathered and crashed over to score. The South African under-20 rugby team suffered a heart-breaking last-gasp loss to Wales by a single point, 18-17, in the semi-finals of the IRB Junior World Championship on Tuesday at Stade de la Rabine, in Vannes, France. Jenkins also praised the Welsh tight five and admitted it had been a very physical outing. “Everything hurts, but we played a very good game of rugby. We had our chances and we knew if we stuck to our game plan we would score tries and we did, just in the nick of time.” 11th Place Play-Off: Fiji vs USA 9th Place Play-Off: Samoa vs Scotland 7th Place Play-Off: Australia vs Ireland 5th Place Play-Off: Argentina vs France 3rd Place Play-Off: South Africa vs New Zealand Final: Wales vs England PLAYOFFS “Unbelievable, it is a bit surreal at the moment,” Welsh skipper Ellis Jenkins said after the game. “That was tense. 19 June 2013 ‘We gave it our best’Captain Ruan Steenkamp echoed Theron’s sentiments when he said: “We gave it our best effort, but on the day it was not enough. They did their homework on us and never allowed us to create a platform for our backline. There was no mention of the try at the end of the match, though, with the closest to anyone commenting on it coming from South Africa’s coach Dawie Theron, who said: “The luck, with the bounce of the ball, went with the Welsh today and the next time it’ll go to us. We’re definitely not happy about losing, but we can keep our head high. And we’re going to work for the next game.” That next match will be against New Zealand, who were beaten 33-21 by England in the second semi-final. South Africa had defeated England, the Six Nations champions, 31-24 in pool play. More than that, though, the Baby Boks were also at fault for not converting some of their chances. “We had our opportunities in the game,” coach Theron told the IRB. He added: “The boys are extremely disappointed because we are all very proud to represent our country. We have one more match left to play and we will lift ourselves and play with pride. The defeat will hurt for a while, but we have our next match on Sunday and we will play as best as we can.” “We knew it would take something special to break the defence and Sam [Davies] has dropped that kick on the money for Ash to go over in the corner and then stepped up, nerves of steel, and slotted it from the touchline. Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

Read More

first_imgThe Canadian PressManitoba Premier Brian Pallister is suggesting the federal government could take over the Port of Churchill as one way to help revive the subarctic town’s broken rail line and economy.“The federal government has the responsibility for ports,” Pallister said Thursday. “They run dozens of them and maybe they could run one more.”Pallister has said he is hopeful the federal government will find a solution to the crisis facing Churchill, which lost its only ground connection to the outside world in the spring when flooding damaged the rail line.People and goods have had to be flown in at much higher cost, and the town of 900 residents on the coast of Hudson Bay fears a long-term economic hit.The railway and port used to be federally owned but were sold to Denver-based Omnitrax in 1997.Omnitrax closed the port’s grain terminal last year. Its biggest customer used to be the Canadian Wheat Board before the agency lost its monopoly on western wheat and barley sales.Omnitrax has been trying to sell the rail line and has said it cannot afford the repairs needed to get a 250-kilometre section of the line back up _ at an estimated cost of $43.5 million.Read more: Report says Churchill rail line could be repaired soon for $43 million or lessPallister said a revived port would help the viability of the rail line and the economy as a whole.“That is of great importance to the long-term sustainability of the community as it exists today and for northern development,” he said. “It’s a tremendous asset for the country of Canada, quite frankly.”Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said in July that Omnitrax has a legal obligation to fix and operate the line. He did not directly answer when asked whether the government might sue Omnitrax.The company has been in talks with a First Nations consortium to sell the line. That could pave the way for government subsidies for repairs, but there is no sign of a deal.Pallister is not the only politician touting the idea of a federal takeover. New Democrat member of Parliament Niki Ashton, who represents the Churchill area, has called on Ottawa to nationalize both the port and the rail line.“We know the privatization experiment failed,” she said in a written statement last year.“It’s time to develop a model that benefits our North and Canada as a whole.”Contact APTN National News here: [email protected]last_img read more

Read More

first_imgParis — Niger on Wednesday called for Western intervention to eradicate a growing threat from Islamist fighters who have established bases in southern Libya since the 2011 overthrow of Moamer Kadhafi.“The powers who intervened to overthrow Colonel Kadhafi — after which Libya became the main sanctuary for terrorists — need to provide an after-sales service,” Niger’s Interior Minister Massoudou Hassoumi told Radio France International.“It would be totally legitimate for France, (and/or) the United States to intervene to eradicate the terrorist threat in the south of Libya,” Hassoumi added during a visit to Paris. Niger, an impoverished but mineral-rich former French colony which adjoins southern Libya, has had to contend with numerous Islamist attacks and kidnappings on its own soil, some of which have threatened the security of its uranium production.Hassoumi said US intelligence chief James Clapper had been right to highlight, in an annual report published in December, the extent to which sub-Saharan Africa had become a “hothouse” for extremists.“More precisely, he should have said that the south of Libya is now an incubator for terrorist groups,” Hassoumi added.“I think awareness of the threat posed by southern Libya is quite strong and an intervention is within the bounds of the possible.”The US intelligence assessment presented by Clapper warned that a power vacuum in Libya, where the government is struggling to counter well-armed militias, was fuelling extremist groups across the region, posing an “acute” terror threat that neighbouring countries lack the capacity, and sometimes the will, to counter.Kadhafi, who had ruled Libya as a dictatorship from 1969, was toppled by a popular uprising that was backed up by Western military action.last_img read more

Read More

Kevin Durant is one game away from losing the NBA Finals, and now one lawsuit away from losing his famous nickname — “Durantula” — because a guitarist claims KD jacked it from him.Durant was sued today in Federal Court by a guy named Mark Durante — a guitarist who, according to the lawsuit, was a big deal in the 80s … playing with Public Enemy, The Aliens, The Next Big Thing, and (our favorite) The Revolting Cocks.TMZ obtained a copy of the lawsuit, in which Durante says he adopted the name “Durantula” for his “on-stage and performance persona” — and has used it to market “music, recordings, apparel, t-shirts, guitars, and related merchandise.”Meanwhile, sports fans have adopted the handle for the Oklahoma City Thunder star and current NBA scoring champ.Durante claims he sent KD’s people a couple letters “demanding they stop using the nickname” — but says Durant’s reps claimed he wasn’t using it.In the suit though, Durante claims Nike has used the moniker to launch a shoe campaign — and KD himself signed “Durantula” on basketballs that are for sale through his website.The guitarist says he registered the “Durantula” trademark. He’s suing for damages and an injunction stopping KD from using the name.Calls to Nike and Durant’s reps weren’t immediately returned. read more

Read More

first_imgReports have emerged that Real Madrid have opened talks with former Chelsea coach Antonio Conte as Julen Lopetegui’s position as Coach becomes increasingly uncertain.Football Espana quotes both Sportitalia and the Corriere dello Sport as their source of the report amidst Madrid’s poor run of form. Having lost three of their last four in which they have not scored once.Earlier last week, there were reports in Diario AS that Conte is ‘the only top Coach without a team’ while current Madrid B team Coach and former winger Santiago Solari is also being considered.Speculative reports suggests that Madrid have given current coach Lopetegui month end to turn things around with upcoming fixtures against Levante, Viktoria Plzen and Barcelona.Sacchi explains Sarri, Conte, and Ancelotti Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Arrigo Sacchi talked about how Sarri has a tougher time at Juventus than Conte at Inter; while Ancelotti’s “blood is boiling” at Napoli.Arrigo Sacchi…There are claims that The Blues will be paid compensation before Conte can be appointed elsewhere before next summer since he is still being paid by the West London club.Also in consideration is 41-year-old Solari, who has been in charge of the club’s Castilla team since 2016 where he replaced Zinedine Zidane in 2016.last_img read more

Read More

first_imgDavid Luiz refuses to rule out a Chelsea title challenge this season, despite recent result not going in their favourAgainst expectations, Maurizio Sarri’s side got off to a strong start for the 2018/19 Premier League campaign by winning their opening five matches.But a 3-1 defeat to Tottenham last month derailed their title hopes with Chelsea since suffering another loss at Wolves recently.The Blues now trail leaders Liverpool by 11 points, albeit with a game in hand, and appear set for a season-long top-four battle.But Brazilian defender Luiz, who has won the Premier League across his six seasons at Chelsea, is refusing to throw in the towel yet.“Everybody knows the Premier League is so difficult, we have to think step by step,” Luiz told Sky Sports.Victor Wanyama, Tottenham Hotspur, Premier LeaguePochettino admits Wanyama remains in his Spurs plans Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Kenyan international, Victor Wanyama, was the protagonist of a summer transfer saga, but in the end, he is set to stay at Tottenham Hotspur.“Of course the boss tries to give us the maths and to give us one direction to follow and we trying to get the points to be there and fighting for the title not just for the top four.”The former Paris Saint-Germain player is certain aiming for the title is a realistic objective for Chelsea.“Yes, I think so but with humility, with our feet on the ground, thinking step by step,” Luiz added.“Of course we lost some points and it could be better for us at the moment but everybody knows in this league everybody can win against everybody.“It’s not my first Premier League [season] so I know anything can happen.”Chelsea will host Leicester City today at Stamford Bridge with kick-off set for 16:00 (CET).last_img read more

Read More

first_imgDirector of football Joaquin Caparros concedes that Sevilla are not optimistic over signing Alvaro Morata from Chelsea, despite the player himself being interested in making the moveSince arriving at Chelsea in July 2017 for a club-record deal of £60m from Real Madrid, Morata has been frequently linked with an exit from Stamford Bridge.The Spanish striker has only scored 16 goals in 47 Premier League games for the Blues and his struggles up front, along with fellow Olivier Giroud, has forced coach Maurizio Sarri to deploy Eden Hazard in a “false nine” role.Reports emerged in Spain this week claiming that Morata’s agent, Juanma Lopez, arrived at Sevilla on Monday to begin talks over a six-month loan deal.FC Barcelona, Valencia CFMatch Preview: Barcelona vs Valencia Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Is derby time in La Liga, as Barcelona welcomes Valencia to the Camp Nou Stadium tonight at 21:00 (CET).But Caparros admits that Chelsea’s tough stance in negotiations makes a deal for Morata unlikely.“It is true that we have an interest in this player [Morata], but it is a very, very complicated operation,” Caparros told SevillaTV.“The player may want to come here over other options, but it is very complicated. Chelsea are a club who are very difficult to negotiate [with].”However, Caparros was able to provide Sevilla fans with more positive news by expressing his confidence in reaching a deal for Barcelona forward Munir El Haddadi.last_img read more

Read More

first_imgEx-Man Utd striker Andrew Cole could link up with Sol Campbell, as the Macclesfield Town manager wants the former Manchester United striker as an attacking coach.The Mirror claims the former Birmingham City frontman is in talks over joining the League Two side as an attacking coach.Cole had a great playing career with Newcastle United and with Manchester United and played for his country alongside Campbell and was also a team-mate of the defender at Portsmouth.Cole also played five times for Birmingham in their 2007 Championship promotion campaign, scoring just one goal which came against Wolverhampton Wanderers.Harry Maguire, Manchester UnitedLiverpool legend Nicol slams Harry Maguire’s Man United form Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Steve Nicol believes Harry Maguire has made some “horrendous mistakes” recently, and has failed to find his best form since joining Manchester United.The 47-year-old retired from active football in 2008 and embarked on a coaching career that has seen him work at MK Dons, Huddersfield Town, under former Birmingham manager Lee Clark, before stopping at Manchester United.Macclesfield is 23rd on the League 2 table, three points from safety having won three and drawn three of Campbell’s nine matches.last_img read more

Read More

first_img Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News, Sports FacebookTwitter TVG Pacific Classic at Del Mar Racetrack preview 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsDEL MAR (KUSI) – The TVG Pacific Classic is an American Thoroughbred horse race for runners aged 3-year-old or up run at the classic American distance of a mile and a quarter (10 furlongs, 2 km). It is run each year in August at Del Mar Racetrack in Del Mar, California, and the Grade 1 race has become one of the top prizes for older horses racing in the United States each year.First run in 1991, the Pacific Classic offers a purse of $1-million and is the premier event of the season at one of the nation’s premier race meetings conducted for seven weeks each year at the seaside racing plant just north of San Diego.Joe Harper, President and CEO of the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club stopped by Good Morning San Diego to discuss the race. KUSI Newsroom, Posted: August 14, 2019 August 14, 2019 KUSI Newsroom last_img read more

Read More