first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Read More

first_img Al Falah Investment, which is owned by Bank Muamalat commissioner Ilham and Hong-Kong based SSG Capital Management Limited, is a holding company focusing on banking and other financial services.Bank Muamalat is currently seeking a capital injection to support its business.According to data from the OJK, Bank Muamalat’s net profit in January-August 2019 fell by 94 percent from the same period in 2018 to Rp 6.57 billion (US$453,103). Singapore-based sharia investment company Al Falah Investments led by Ilham Akbar Habibie, the eldest son of the late former president B.J. Habibie, is set to acquire sharia-compliant Bank Muamalat Indonesia.Financial Services Authority (OJK) chairman Wimboh Santoso said on Tuesday that the authority had approved the deal, adding that the consortium led by Al Falah would only need to complete some administrative work.“The deal will be sealed soon,” Wimboh told reporters in Jakarta. Topics :last_img read more

Read More

first_imgA British businessman who became known as a “super-spreader” of the COVID-19 coronavirus said Tuesday he had fully recovered but remained in isolation in a central London hospital.Steve Walsh issued a statement via his company from Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital after catching the virus on a business trip in Singapore.He is believed to have infected at least 11 other Britons — five in a ski chalet in the French Alps and another five who have since returned to his home city of Brighton on England’s southeast coast. “When the diagnosis was confirmed I was sent to an isolation unit in hospital, where I remain, and, as a precaution, my family was also asked to isolate themselves.”Walsh represented his Servomex natural gas analytics company at the Grand Hyatt Singapore sales conference on January 20-22.A firm that conducts Servomex’s consulting work described Steve as a genial boyscout leader who has two children and travels abroad frequently for work.Servomex is a division of the London Stock Exchange-listed Spectris high-tech instruments and software provider. Contact tracing UK health authorities have so far tested 1,358 people and recorded eight cases inside the country.The media’s focus on the “super-spreader” from Brighton intensified after one of the medical centres in the coastal city temporarily closed because two of its staff also became infected.A second branch of the same medical centre suspended operations on Tuesday.Walsh travelled to the French Alps before returning to London from Geneva on an EasyJet flight carrying more than 100 people.His associates said Walsh went to his local pub in Brighton and attended a group yoga session at his church after returning from his trip.He put himself in “self-isolation” after one of his colleagues abroad fell ill.A Servomex spokesman said the company remained opened and was working with “authorities to ensure the welfare of our staff”.Health officials in Brighton are currently trying to trace patients of the two healthcare workers diagnosed with the virus strain.UK health authorities have tried hard to calm any fears sparked by a barrage of media stories about a “super-spreader” infecting the public without anyone’s knowledge.”Contact tracing of the first four cases has been undertaken rapidly and is now complete while tracing for the latest four cases is ongoing,” health minister Matt Hancock told parliament.Hancock revealed that UK health authorities’ work helped to find the five Britons who are still isolated in France.”They are now receiving treatment and the Foreign Office is following up with consular support,” Hancock said.But some medical researchers said Walsh’s case pointed to a bigger problem: the possibility that the virus can spread from someone who exhibits no symptoms.The episode “may support that the virus can be shed from individuals prior to the onset of symptoms, which we are hearing more and more anecdotally,” said University of Leeds virus researcher Stephen Griffin.”This would make the problem of containing spread more like controlling a flu outbreak rather than what was experienced with SARS,” Griffin said.The Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) was another coronavirus that originated in China and killed 774 worldwide in 2002-03.Topics : Another person was diagnosed while on vacation in Spain.Walsh said he contacted Britain’s state-run national health service once he realised he might be sick.”As soon as I knew I had been exposed to a confirmed case of coronavirus, I contacted my GP, NHS 111 and Public Health England,” the 53-year-old said.”I was advised to attend an isolated room at hospital, despite showing no symptoms, and subsequently self-isolated at home as instructed,” he added.last_img read more

Read More

first_imgAccording to the ministry’s data, other foreigners denied entry to Bali include Armenians, Brazilians, Australians, Canadians, Britons and New Zealanders. The policy is in place based on the government-imposed travel ban to and from mainland China since Feb. 5, that bars travelers who have visited China over the past 14 days from visiting or transiting in Indonesia, and also halts the provision of visa-free and visa-on-arrival facilities for Chinese citizens. As a result of the ban, authorities previously estimated that at least 5,000 Chinese tourists in Bali are likely to be stranded there, since flights connecting Indonesia and mainland China have been temporarily suspended.Read also: Govt downplays reports of Chinese tourist who tested positive for coronavirus after Bali sojourn The Bali Immigration Office has denied entry to nearly 100 foreigners since the government put in place a restriction on those who had recently traveled to China from entering Indonesia’s territory, in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak. The Law and Human Rights Ministry’s Bali office head Sutrisno said that as of Friday, a total of 91 foreign nationals had been rejected from entering Bali, as they had traveled to mainland China — where the coronavirus first emerged — in the last two weeks. “They are citizens of various countries, including Russia, Kazakhstan, Turkey, Uzbekistan, the United States and others,” Sutrisno said.  As of Thursday, some 300 Chinese nationals have applied to obtain emergency permits to stay longer in the country, which would be valid for one month, Sutrisno said. Jakarta has announced that it will facilitate and will not penalize Chinese tourists and workers who have overstayed their visas as result of the travel ban.“If their country’s situation shows that it is still impossible for them to fly home, we can give them [another permit extension],” Sutrisno said. He went on to say that the Chinese Consulate General in Denpasar would be responsible for facilitating other necessary support for Chinese citizens stranded in Bali. The death toll from the coronavirus, officially named COVID-19, has passed 1,300 globally, since it first emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan in late December, 2019. More than 64,000 confirmed cases have been reported worldwide. Japan reported the first death from the virus on Friday, bringing the total deaths outside mainland China to three so far, with one in Hong Kong and another in the Philippines, Reuters reported. Indonesia has recorded no confirmed cases of coronavirus so far. (afr)Topics :last_img read more

Read More

first_imgIn a ruling on April 2, the Garut District Court in West Java found PA guilty of violating the 2008 Pornography Law and sentenced her to three years of imprisonment and Rp 1 billion (US$63,671) in fines. The other two men appearing in the video got lighter sentences than PA.PA and her legal team appealed the verdict to demand a lower sentence or acquittal, while prosecutors did the same for the sake of a higher sentence.”We will support PA to get a fairer verdict, as she is actually the real victim in this case,” said the network, which includes the Legal Aid Foundation of the Indonesian Women’s Association for Justice (LBH Apik).LBH Apik’s director Siti Zuma expressed hope to collect 10,000 signatures before the Garut High Court rules on the appeals. “Hopefully, the court will no longer issue an incriminating verdict against PA after seeing huge support from the public for her.”Topics : The Women’s Solidarity Network for Justice has started an online petition demanding the Garut High Court in West Java rule in favor of PA also known as V, a woman sentenced to prison for starring in several pornographic videos.The group launched the petition on change.org on Tuesday. More than 880 people had signed it by Wednesday afternoon.“PA is a victim of sexual exploitation, human trafficking and domestic violence,” the group wrote in the petition. “After secretly getting married to her husband at 16 years of age, she experienced verbal and sexual violence inflicted by her husband. She was also sold by him and forced to have sexual intercourse with three men while being filmed, despite her reluctance.”While her husband argued the video had been made for his private collection, it went viral on social media – leading to her arrest in August last year. Her husband – identified as 31-year-old A – and two other men were also apprehended.PA insisted that A had forced her to engage in sexual acts with other men for money. The husband, however, died one month later, before his trial started.Read also: Pornography dominates negative content reported to ministry in 2019last_img read more

Read More

first_imgIndonesia’s foreign debt growth slowed down in the first quarter as foreign investors sold off Indonesian assets over fears of the COVID-19 pandemic, Bank Indonesia (BI) announced Friday.The country’s external debt, which includes borrowing by both the government and the private sector, was recorded at US$389.3 billion, a growth of 0.5 percent year-on-year (yoy). That represents a slowdown in the annual growth rate from 7.8 percent at the end of the previous quarter.Government foreign debt contracted 3.6 percent to $181 billion in the first quarter as foreign investors sold Rp 145 trillion ($9.75 billion) in Indonesian assets during the period and flocked into safe-haven assets such as gold and US dollars. Public sector debt, including those raised by the government and the central bank, amounted to $183.8 billion. “The decline in the government’s external debt was caused by capital outflows from the bond market, as well as payments of matured sovereign debt papers,” BI wrote in a statement.“The management of the government’s external debt is conducted in a prudent and accountable manner to support government spending toward productive sectors to promote economic growth and improve public welfare.”Private sector external debt, which includes those raised by state-owned enterprises, grew 4.5 percent to $205.5 billion during this year’s first three months, slower than 6.6 percent growth recorded at the end of last year.“This is due to contraction of external debts in the non-financial institutions and slower expansion of external debt in the financial institutions,” BI said.Private sector external debt was largely disbursed to four sectors, namely mining, manufacturing, financial services and insurance and electricity, gas and steam procurement. The sectors accounted for 77.7 percent of the private sector external debt.The central bank deemed the overall external debt level healthy as the foreign-debt-to-gross-domestic-product (GDP) ratio was recorded at 34.5 percent by the end of the first quarter, down from the previous quarter’s 36.2 percent. Long-term loans account for 88.4 percent of the current outstanding debt.Topics :last_img read more

Read More

first_imgChina, where the deadly virus emerged late last year, reported no new deaths or new suspected cases on Friday, with the toll still at 4,634 and a total of 82,995 infections.Even though the number of cases is surging, India has steadily loosened its lockdown to lessen the massive impact on the economy — and the country’s poor who have been the hardest hit.Home Minister Amit Shah was also due Friday to hold talks with state chief ministers to discuss a further relaxing of restrictions, press reports said.The pandemic has killed 357,311 people worldwide, according to an AFP tally at 1900 GMT on Thursday, with the United States recording the most deaths with 101,002 fatalities.  India’s coronavirus death toll passed neighboring China’s on Friday, with 175 new fatalities in 24 hours taking the total to 4,706, according to official data.India, home to some of the world’s most packed cities and a creaking healthcare system, is emerging as a new hotspot with record jumps in new cases in recent days.Figures from India’s health ministry showed 165,799 infections, with western Maharashtra state — home to the finance hub of Mumbai — accounting for 36 percent of cases and 42 percent of deaths. Topics :last_img read more

Read More

first_imgFoden shines as Sane returns Foden made the most of his chance to start as the 20-year-old opened the floodgates with a sweet strike from outside the box.Mahrez then killed the game as a contest before half-time as the Algerian left Charlie Taylor trailing on the floor before firing into the far corner on his weaker right foot.VAR awarded Mahrez the chance to double his tally from the penalty spot after Ben Mee caught Sergio Aguero, forcing the Argentine striker off injured.Retaining their Premier League title may be beyond City, but Guardiola’s men still have the chance to add the FA Cup and Champions League to the League Cup they won in March.The fierce competition for places appears to be having an effect as there was no let-up after the break.Bernardo Silva’s low cross was turned home by his namesake David for the hosts’ fourth.Foden then rounded off the scoring at the far post after Gabriel Jesus failed to convert David Silva’s cross.There was another positive for City as Leroy Sane replaced Foden for the final 10 minutes to make his first appearance since suffering cruciate knee ligament damage in August.The German international seems certain to leave the club at the end of the season after rejecting a new contract amid interest from Bayern Munich.But Sane could still have a part to play in City’s quest for a cup treble before the end of the campaign. Dyche has been left frustrated by the Burnley board’s refusal to extend contracts of five players who are out of contract at the end of the month.Injuries to Ashley Barnes, Chris Wood and Johann Berg Gudmundsson meant Dyche could name just seven of a possible nine substitutes.Aymeric Laporte, Kevin De Bruyne and Raheem Sterling were among those kept in reserve for City’s trip to Chelsea on Thursday. Manchester City thrashed Burnley 5-0 at an empty Etihad to ensure Liverpool will not be able to clinch the Premier League title when they face Crystal Palace on Wednesday.Phil Foden and Riyad Mahrez scored twice, while David Silva grabbed what could prove his final City goal to cut the gap at the top to 20 points.A bad night for Burnley on the field was compounded by a banner flown over the stadium at the start of the match reading: “White lives matter Burnley”. Black Lives Matter was printed on the back of all shirts for the first 12 matches of the Premier League restart.Players, coaches and referees have also taken a knee before kick-off in every match to show their support for the fight against racial injustice.In a statement, Burnley said: “Those responsible are not welcome at Turf Moor. This, in no way, represents what Burnley Football Club stands for.”The disparity of resources between the sides was shown even before kick-off as Burnley boss Sean Dyche could not even fill his bench, while Pep Guardiola was able to make eight changes from a 3-0 win over Arsenal on Wednesday. Topics :last_img read more

Read More

first_imgTencent said on Thursday it had purchased Malaysian video streaming platform Iflix’s “content, technology, and resources” in a bid to grow its presence in Southeast Asia.The Chinese tech giant said in a statement that Iflix’s catalogue of “international, local, and original content” would enable it to expand the reach of its overseas video streaming service, WeTV, which it launched in Thailand in 2019.A Tencent spokeswoman declined to disclose the size of the deal. U.S entertainment media outlet Variety, which first published the news on Wednesday, cited people with knowledge of the agreement as saying the deal was worth “several tens of millions of dollars.” Tencent Video, its streaming platform in China, boasted over 110 million paid subscribers at the end of March.WeTV will face a crowded field in Southeast Asia, which includes U.S giant Netflix and Chinese rival iQIYI.Reuters reported in June that Tencent was in early talks to become the biggest shareholder iQIYI. Both companies have declined to comment. That would make the deal significantly smaller than the $1 billion valuation that Iflix had sought in 2019 when it planned a public listing in Australia.The Malaysian startup, which had raised over $300 million, says it has more than 25 million active users in Southeast Asia. But it is facing significant accumulated losses and financial difficulties, according to two sources familiar with the company.Iflix was not immediately available for comment.The purchase comes as part of Tencent’s efforts to capitalize on its fast-growing userbase in the region of 650 million, where it operates music streaming service JOOX and popular game PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Read More

first_imgTopics : “Nothing is more important than human lives. Please make utmost effort through the night to search for missing people,” Abe said after Japanese television broadcast images of overturned cars, people shoveling mud from their homes and the military rescuing stranded residents in boats.”We had no electricity and no running water,” one rescued woman told the broadcaster. “It was tough.”TV footage also showed a gymnasium-turned-evacuation center equipped with face masks, disinfectants and thermometers to prevent coronavirus infections.The Japan Meteorological Agency urged people to stay vigilant, as more rains are predicted.”From this evening on, extremely heavy rains with thunder are expected in southern as well as northern Kyushu,” an agency official told Reuters.”The rainfall so far has already loosened the ground. There is a high chance of landslides occurring, even without much additional rain.”  The death toll from floods and landslides unleashed by torrential rains on Japan’s southern island of Kyushu rose to 20 on Sunday, with 14 people missing, NHK public TV said.More heavy rain is forecast after Saturday’s deadly deluge in the Kumamoto prefecture, Japan’s worst natural disaster since Typhoon Hagibis in October last year left about 90 people dead.Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told a meeting of Japan’s disaster response task force to step up the search and rescue operations.last_img read more

Read More